News

A Word Of CAUTION For People Who Use Wire Brushes On Their BBQ Pit

Here is one very tough lesson a man learned recently while using a wire brush to clean his BBQ Pit.

According to Country Living:

“On Sunday evening upon eating a hamburger from our grill, I felt something abnormal in my burger,” Chester Poole, 63, of Nova Scotia captioned a rather unappetizing close-up of his throat. “I tried to spit it out and tried to cough up anything that may be there. Upon eating my second bite I felt a needle like pain in my throat.”

After spending five hours in outpatient care, X-rays confirmed what Poole could feel: There was a foreign object stuck in his throat—what turned out to be an inch-long stray wire from Poole’s barbecue grill brush. Poole was sent home for the night and referred to another hospital for surgery on Monday.

“Our brush is in good shape and I hardly use it,” Poole wrote. “[My doctor] says he gave up his brushes 10 [years] ago because he sees this sort of thing a lot. The thing that was concerning was that he said a lot of times they cannot be found because they embed themselves in the soft tissue of your throat and that you end up doing more damage by poking around trying to find it to remove. They end up leaving them there and you live with the discomfort. Every time I was swallowing it felt like a needle was in there. Not fun.”

When Poole’s doctor was able to remove the bristle, he told Poole to buy a lottery ticket. Lucky or not, Poole said he wouldn’t wish the procedure on anyone.

“The thing that bothered me was that if we had provided burgers to anyone else, especially our grandchildren, it would have been worst [sic],” Poole wrote. “I do not believe a small child would have been able to go through the procedure to remove very easily at all.”

Following the incident, Poole purchased replacement scrapers for himself and his kids. And he’s learned that unfortunately, his experience was not a rare one.

“Since this has happened I have had many people indicate that they have found these in their food and fortunately they discovered it either visually or were able to spit it out before ingesting,” Poole tells CountryLiving.com. “The outcome I had was a positive one. It could have resulted in more serious complications if not found or if it had found its way into my digestive track.”

Don’t let this happen to your family or you. I never gave it a second thought, but after reading this story I will be looking to other safer products to protect my family. Share this story to make others aware of the danger of wire brushes.

Source: Country Living

Source2:

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FDA Disclaimer

None of the statements on this website have been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of any products or information has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
LocalGrowersConnection assumes no responsibility for the improper use of and self-diagnosis and/or treatment using these products or information.
Any information on the website is provided for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for a health care provider’s consultation.
Please consult a health care professional about potential interactions or other possible complications on any matter related to your health.

To Top